Wagga Wagga: 265 Edward St (02) 6917 1321

Change Location

Running Shoes: How to know what will suit you?

With so many different types of running shoes available, it can be hard to know what to look for and which one will suit your activity and foot type. Should you go for a minimalist shoe or an anti-pronating shoe?
A pure running shoe or a cross trainer?

Generally, shoes can be broken down by the amount of support and shock absorption that they provide. Shoes that are minimalist or free running type shoes provide little external support to the foot and encourage increased muscle activation for stability and force generation. The also provide limited shock absorption to the foot and lower limb. This style of shoe may not be suitable for some runners, particularly if you are new to running or doing longer distances.

As you move through the levels of support, shoes generally provide counters to over pronation of the foot (rolling in) and higher levels of shock absorption. Running shoes differ from cross trainers as they generally have more cushioning in the heel to absorb the impact of running and can have less sole in contact with the ground.  Cross trainers tend to have flatter soles and can be wider to assist with more dynamic movement and strength training. These shoes are great for a range of different exercise however may not be the most comfortable option for running.



Generally, there is no one shoe for each of us. You may benefit from a couple of different style shoes. Your exercise preferences and foot type will determine the level of support and shoe style that will make you more comfortable. It is recommended that running shoes are replaced every 6-12 months depending on the amount and type of running or exercise you are doing.

If you are looking to replace your current running shoes or are having some reoccurring symptoms in your feet, ankles or knees with exercise, contact us on 60413609 or book online with one of the Enhance Physiotherapy Team for advice on what running shoe may best suit you.



Call the Wagga clinic